Speculoos

Tuesdays with Dorie
Baking Chez Moi

I have made Dorie’s speculoos cookies before from Around My French Table and the reviews were great. I was looking forward to trying this recipe. The difference with this recipe is the technique, this dough is rolled into logs and then sliced and baked. My first attempt did not go well, I cooked them the full time which ended up making them hockey pucks. The second time around I took care to cut the log into 15 pieces and cook a little less only 10 minutes and they turned out perfect. These cookies smell great while baking, just like Christmas, and they went wonderfully with a cup of tea.
Advertisements

17 Comments Add yours

1. Diane, I've not made the Speculoos yet, but I think I may have too what with your post here! Great photo of your hike, too! We stayed up there for a weekend at Pine Mountain Club recently. It was our first visit, but it's nice to have some nice tall pine trees and more alpine scenery (I grew up in the mountains) so close to home. Have a great week!

2. Adriana says:

When I first tried the speculoos, I wasn't that crazy about them. Or so I wrote. I was so wrong! They are delicious and special. Your cutters look a lot like the ones I used when I posted this recipe!

3. Mary Hirsch says:

I envy you the hike in Fall weather. We are hiking in snow here in Colorado. Not complaining, it's how we make a living. I haven't made the speculoos but your husband's rec is good enough for me. Hopefully I'll get these made for the holidays. Thanks for the prompt.

4. Anonymous says:

I'm going to make these in the next week or two – they've become a tradition, now. So glad they were a hit for you, too (even if they were plain).

5. Speculoos are some of the most famous cookies around here and I consider them to be among my very favorite of all times – I always make them and I appreciate their lovely simplicity – yours look wonderful, nice color and very pretty cookie cutter!Have a nice weekend,Andrea

6. Diane Balch says:

My family enjoyed these but I'm not a crunchy cookie or gingerbread fan. I love your cut out.. very cute.

7. Anonymous says:

They are one of my favorites, though I only made them once, when they were on the French Fridays schedule. I'm glad you made them now so I can remember to add them to this year's holiday lineup! Yum!

8. Nana says:

These are good, I remember when we made them I thought they were delicious.Yours look so festive.

9. Anonymous says:

I recall being surprised by how much I liked these cookies. I think that I went into them with your son's opinion, that they looked a little plain. But they tasted great and very Christmasy.

10. Cakelaw says:

Your speculoos look terrific – a good choice as a make-up recipe for this time of year.

11. Kathy says:

Diane, your speculoos look absolutely perfect! They have become a tradition in my house at Christmas! In fact, I always make up an extra batch of dough for Christmas eve so that my grandchildren can make their gingerbread house with their mom!

12. I loved these – and this is a good reminder to make them again!

13. 1) Love the hiking picture2) Those speculoos were delicious (and yours look perfect). I had forgotten about them as well.

14. Cakelaw says:

Your plate is so pretty. I made mine gluten free and found I had to bake them for longer – not sure if the GF flour was the reason. Anyway, I received a positive response to them.

15. I like these too but I prefer rolling and cutting them – they were a little too dense for my liking made this way!

16. These were tasty!…and I agree, Christmas in a cookie!

17. Zosia says:

These were perfect for the holiday season. Happy New Year!