Celebration Week #2: The Never-Doubt-Dorie Moment

In our second week of celebration moments with French Fridays with Dorie we are contemplating which recipe was a “never doubt Dorie moment”.  Here were the instructions: “Choose the recipe that might not have been your favorite or even something you enjoyed making or even something you were skeptical about but which taught you a technique or gave you an idea or provided a lesson of some kind”. Honestly every recipe taught me something but one recipe was a stand out for me, Storzapretis (corsican spinach and marjoram gnocchi).

Storzapretis are like cheese gnocchi and I had never made gnocchi before.  I did not know what quenelle was so I did a Youtube search for tutorials.  I also found someone who had made the dish and blogged about it so I could get some ideas.  This recipe taught me so many new techniques.  It was very tasty and enjoyed by all.  Honorable mentions were osso buco and duck. Which reminds me, I should make duck with fresh peaches now that they are in season.

To see what others thought go here.

Advertisements

14 Comments Add yours

1. Anonymous says:

Great choice, storzapretis could have easily landed on my list as well. I have also been keeping an eye out for peaches so that I can repeat the duck recipe. Just a little early for them here, maybe in another month.

2. Anonymous says:

I'd never heard of storzapretis and they were a lovely surprise. We have to wait until later in summer for peaches, but I have my eye on that duck recipe when they come into the stores.

3. Liz Berg says:

Yeah, these were really good! Some of mine didn't stay together, but I had no problem eating those! Wonderful choice!

4. Adriana says:

I loved the storzapretis, even though they tested my patience! Very tasty pick.

5. Diane Balch says:

You were patient with those gnocchi like things that made me crazy. Mine were a disaster and I didn't bother to make lemonade.

6. Diane, nice choice and a great reminder to be making these lovely Storzapreti again soon!Have a nice weekend,Andrea

7. Cakelaw says:

Yes, this one was a learning curve, but so delicious.

8. My Storzapreti never worked out quite as well as some people but I would be willing to have another go at it for sure..

9. Jora says:

I'm so glad your storzapretis came out well. I thought they were one of the more challenging recipes. Thanks for the reminder about duck with peaches. Definitely a must-make this summer!

10. Anonymous says:

This was a recipe that I didn't find time for. They really looked delicious when I saw how they turned out for others. I really need to find time to try them! Great post!

11. Nana says:

That was a recipe I truly enjoyed. A little tricky, but so delicious. Yours lookwonderful.

12. Guyla Mayo says:

I enjoyed this one as well. It was a little hard to work with but worth the effort!

13. What a fun choice! 🙂 Love it!

14. Anonymous says:

I'd never heard of this one either. I'd made gnocchi, but the potato kind, not the cheese kind. It was a fun project, right? It looks like you mastered the technique. You do need to make the duck. It's one of my favorites!