Shrimp and Double Carrots

We are back to fish Fridays on French Fridays with Dorie.  After my husband read “monkfish is so popular that it costs more than lobster”, we decided not to look for it and go with a substitution.  I am getting better about reading the Bonne Idee and so we went with shrimp.

Cooking carrots in carrot juice is a new technique for me.  We really enjoyed this one and will probably make this again.  It was a fairly easy and could be made on a week night which is always a plus.  My son still prefers raw carrot sticks, sigh.  Monkfish and double carrots page 294.

These recipes are part of an international cooking group working our way through Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan.  To see what others did with this recipe go here.

Advertisements

11 Comments Add yours

1. This wasn't more expensive than lobster, but definitely a little harder to find. Your shrimp version sounds delicious.

2. Cakelaw says:

The juice thing was new for me too Diane. I really liked the carrots, which I made a full serve of and ate it with chicken for a few days until they were gone.

3. Diane Balch says:

Monkfish went from being junk fish to being over fished, that's why it's so expensive. The population is returning but the price is still high. Glad you liked the shrimp, we found the scallops to be delicious too.

4. Adriana says:

I love a mushy, stew carrot but didn't care much for these. Oh well…

5. Emily says:

That is a great looking meal! Love the double carrot sauce and it was impossible to find carrots only juice – they were either mixed with other vegs or fruits – I made my own!

6. Anonymous says:

I loved learning this technique – the carrots were really wonderful. I went with sablefish and the dish was great.

7. Mary Hirsch says:

So many of you used shrimp or scallops this week, Diane. And, everyone seems to have loved this, especially the carrot sauce. Thanks to Betsy and Teresa, I now know that I can use Pacific Cob as a good substitute so I will be making this next week. Curious to see if I like it as much as you all do. Pacific Cod is not as expensive as Lobster or Monkfish!

8. Anonymous says:

I don't care for monkfish so made it with cod, but I think shrimp, as you chose, (or scallops) would be just as delicious. It's the carrots in carrot juice that make this one standout. It makes such a beautiful presentation, naturally without a lot of effort.

9. tricia s. says:

Oh my does this recipe look good with the shrimp ! I definitely need to do it again withOUT the monkfish next time 🙂 The carrot technique of cooking them in carrot juice was also delish. Loved it all ~

10. Kathy says:

I thought the carrots were wonderful! I chose to make the scallops, but those shrimp look utterly delectable! A winner for sure!

11. Anonymous says:

Love your son's artwork on the logo! Very talented :)The shrimp look wonderful, my kids love prawns! I think next time I will try this dish with prawns and scallops!