Tuna Rillettes

French Fridays with Dorie

I missed the part of the directions that said “albacore tuna is too firm and dry”.  All I had in my house was albacore tuna in water.  The texture seemed grainy and I am guessing that an oil based tuna would have been better.  I added more creme fraiche to compensate for the lack of fat and I think it helped but not enough.  There is something about this recipe that does not sit right for me.  I am not sure if it is the sharpness of the shallot (maybe I used too much) or the curry powder.  Normally I like all these ingredients but maybe not together in this recipe.

Advertisements

12 Comments Add yours

1. Kathy says:

Sorry this was not a winner for you. My hubby and I both enjoyed it…however I did use tuna packed in oil and just a pinch of curry. Have a great weekend!

2. Diane Balch says:

I used the same tuna and it didn't seem dry to me? I only used regular heavy cream.. sorry wasn't a go for you.

3. Anonymous says:

Sorry this one wasn't a hit for you. I forgot to add to my post that I only had tuna packed in water, so I added a teaspoon or two of olive oil.

4. Liz Berg says:

I definitely enjoyed this, but my standard tuna salad with mayo can't be beat 🙂 Sorry this was a miss.

5. I'm sorry it was not to your liking. Can't love 'em all though. I liked it.. I wonder if adding actual oil would have helped with the tuna? I used tuna in water but the chunk kind. I added 1 T of olive oil.

6. Diane Zwang says:

I should have thought of olive oil. Great suggestion.

7. Maria Zioga says:

I sautéed the onion before I blend it with the tuna because my stomach cannot handle raw onion. But I did like the taste of the tuna with the curry – even thought I had my doubts before I made it. Sorry you didn't like it 😦

8. Anonymous says:

Sorry this wasn't a favorite, Diane. We can't like every single recipe though so I'd say just look forward to something new next week!

9. Emily says:

I avoided albacore tuna when shopping and managed tuna chunks in sunflower oil. Now the tip on adding some olive oil if your tuna comes in water is a great one!

10. Anonymous says:

I am with you. Not great. But it was an easy \”not great\”, so that part was good!

11. Anonymous says:

Sorry you didn't like, but they can't all be winners!

12. Sorry this wasn't a hit for you. Hopefully, next week's recipe works better for you 🙂